The Ronald McDonald House of the Red River Valley supports families whose children are receiving medical care in the Fargo-Moorhead area by providing home-like comfort, support and care for families.
Expand our presence through community partnerships to provide exceptional care and comfort to an increasing number of families.
- Heart – We serve our families in a caring manner, being sensitive to their needs, and striving to meet those needs through compassionate and gracious hospitality, demonstrating to them that RMHC-RRV is truly their home away from home.
- Integrity – We employ the highest ethical standards, demonstrating honesty and fairness in every action we take. We honor the public’s trust through conscientious management of RMHC-RRV resources.
- Exceptional Service – We are committed to excellence in all that we do, constantly seeking ways to improve our services and enhance the lives of our families, being vigilant to proactively assess and meet their needs.
- Partnership – We strive to develop long-term, mutually beneficial relationships with our donors, volunteers, community, and guests through open and honest communication of our successes and needs and recognition of their participation, knowing that without their valued, trusted, and passionate involvement this work could not exist.
- Team – We work as one to achieve the mission of RMHC-RRV, respecting and building on the unique roles, talents and professionalism of each member of the team and united in our commitment to provide our families with exceptional service.
Fred and Fran Hill found themselves hearing words no parent wants to hear, “Your child has cancer.” As they navigated their journey to heal their sick daughter, Kim, they slept on benches, ate from vending machines and desperately tried to keep their daughter from seeing the physical and emotional strain they were going through. All around them, they saw other families doing the exact same thing. They learned that many of the families had traveled long distances to bring their children to the medical facility and the cost of hotel rooms and eating in restaurants was more than many of them could afford. They knew there had to be a better way.
October 1974 – The first Ronald McDonald House was opened in Philadelphia in 1974.
1977 – A social worker in Fargo, Wayne Allard, noticed that too many families with sick children in Fargo were sleeping on floors or in their car due to financial issues. With the help of a mother of a child with leukemia, he set out to change this.
December 1982 – The first Fargo Ronald McDonald House was opened at 1234 N. Broadway. At this new house, six families per night could have a warm bed and the support of others in the same situation. It is a beautiful, cozy and warm facility with six private guest bedrooms; a large, fully stocked kitchen; laundry facility; playroom; deck and playground area and other common areas as well as an office and separate living space for the resident managers.
May 2005 – The second Fargo Ronald McDonald House was opened at 1330 18th Avenue South to meet our increasing demand. This second location allowed us to double our capacity and we can now serve up to 12 families per night from North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, and beyond.
May 2018 – Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Red River Valley found a new home at 4757 Agassiz Crossing S. in Fargo. Throughout the years, the demand for the Ronald McDonald House continued to grow alongside the growth of the pediatric facilities. With this growth and need to address concerns in the first two houses, RMHC began to look toward building a new Ronald McDonald House in Fargo as a replacement of the two current Houses.
With the unwavering support of a RMHC founding partner, Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Red River Valley fundraised for a 17 guest room, 30,000 square foot facility.
Thanks to generous support of over 500 donors, and the hard work from the team at Foss Architecture and Nor-Son Construction, Inc., the Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Red River Valley opened in May 2018.
Executive Director Corner
Read more about the happenings of RMHC from Executive Director Jill Christopher.
Thank you for an incredible Giving Hearts Day and Sweetheart Ball! February 27, 2019
Welcome to our New Board Members January 15, 2019
What Matters Most December 5, 2018
Thank you to our RMHC Board Members! November 28, 2018
Why show your stripes #forRMHC? October 3, 2018
Hospital Partnership Series: Sanford Health September 12, 2018
Hospital Partnership Series: Prairie St. John’s August 24, 2018
Hospital Partnership Series: Essentia Health August 2, 2018
Why #ILoveFargo July 9, 2018
Chamber Choice Award Gratitude June 12, 2018
What’s up at the new Ronald McDonald House? April 16, 2018
What’s happening at the RMHC site? March 19, 2018
What’s happening at our new house? February 26, 2018